Monday, July 9, 2012

Back on track...to doing things

Since my first post, I have actually finished many things.  I completely forgot about this blog and I wanted to start a new one.  Well to my surprise I still have one I could access!  

I'm now 30 years old and I'm happy to report I have moved out of Cleveland.  I threw a dart at the map and it landed on Phoenix, Arizona.  I got lucky it didn't land in the middle of Mexico.  Or even more scary some remote part of Montana.  Seriously who lives in Montana?

Well since my move, I've managed to have a few odd ball art jobs, find a great guy I love dearly, get engaged and well....become pregnant to our surprise.  Thus spurring a new need to make all kinds of stuff.  Since we don't have all the money in the world to buy all the cutesy baby things and because I'm crafty, I've opted to make as much stuff I can in the few months I have left of being prego.  

Project Number One:  Decorations for upcoming baby shower
The variety of pom poms made from tissue paper resulted from experimenting with different sized tissue paper and different colors and my total lack of consistency.  I also used various edge cutters to get different styled edges.  All I really wanted was a scalloped/ rounded edge quickly and painlessly.  Since I couldn't find one left of this planet I opted to buy a few "fancy" onces with my Michael's 40% off coupons I reasoned would be used for some other project in the future.  Besides I love being cheap without having to look it.





I used Martha Stewart's and Fiskars punch tools to get this lacy edge.  I did manage however to brake one of the tools from trying to cut through too much paper at once.  DON'T MAKE THIS SAME MISTAKE.  Each pom pom requires around 8-10 sheets in order for it to look full.  I suggest cutting into 1-2 sheets at a time to avoid breaking your equipment.  I did fix the tool but still....

Also note that getting these fancy edges take more time and patience.  Patience I didn't have.

Instructions:

Start off with about 8-10 sheets of tissue paper.  10 sheets seemed to be the most ideal but if you can manage 12 this is actually the best for a fluffier and fuller pom pom.  I bought a packet of plain pink paper from The Party Center for 99 cents.  So it comes to me about $1 per pom pom.



Fold the papers like a fan.  Here are two different views to give you an idea.   Be sure to keep the width size the same through all the folds so that the pom pom looks consistent.




Once you folded the papers completely find the center and secure it with some type of wire.  I used pipe cleaner for this one because its soft and flexible.  I've also used old left over copper wire from my many projects in college.  Have a pair of needle nose pliers to cut these.  Don't use scissors to cut the wire. 

Round the edges with a pair of scissors if it isn't too difficult.  Be care not to cut yourself.  I got pretty close a few times.  

You can also cut the edges to a point to get a more spiked look.


Once you pull the sheets up and out you'll start to form ball.  Shape to your desired preference and that's it!  There are plenty of video tutorials online if you need more visuals.  
Paper Rose Decor


I learned how to make these beautiful paper roses out of paper crepe from The Idea Room by Amy Huntley.

These take a little more time to make but if you are enjoying a relaxing evening in front of the tv, its something to do with your hands! 

Here a link to the site for more info.



And there you have it, I actually finished something!




2 comments:

  1. Did you make those?! Or are they just pictures from Pinterest! They're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda I actually made these! I got the idea from Pinterest and posted this on there to encourage some other crafters out there. This was really fun to make.

    ReplyDelete